top of page

FAQ for Landlords

What can I do if the tenant fail to pay the rent?

If a tenant does not pay rent on the date that it is due, you can give the tenant a Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent the day after the rent was due. If a tenant pays rent monthly, this notice gives the tenant 14 days to pay the rent due or to move out. If the rent is not paid, and the tenant does not move,you can apply to the LTB for an order that:

  • requires the tenant to pay the rent that is owing, and

  • evicts the tenant if they do not make the entire payment by a deadline.

What should I do if I want my rental unit back for personal use?

If you want to take your rental unit back for you and your family, you need to follow the new rules under the RTA:

1) the family member can only be the landlord, landlord's spouse, a child or a parent of either the landlord or the landlord's spouse, or someone provide care service for family;

2) you need to serve the tenant a notice of termination of a tenancy (N12 form);

3) you need to file an application with an affidavit to make sure personal use for at least one year;

4) you need to compensate one month's rental fee to the tenant or find another rental unit. 

How often can I increase the rent?

You can increase the rent once every 12 months. You have to give the tenant a 90 day written notice of the increase. There are some exemptions to these rules, for example tenants paying rent-geared-to-income in a social housing unit.

In most cases, you can usually only increase a tenant's rent by the guideline set each year by the Ministry of Housing.

bottom of page